Veterans Getting Started

  • Using your Veterans Educational Benefits for the first time at Prince George's Community College

    Enrollment Process for Veteran Students

    Admission Requirements: All students must submit an application for admission to Prince George’s Community College (PGCC). The application fee is $25. Then you must set-up an Owl Link account and register for S.O.A.R. at

    New Student - first time enrollee - will be required to take a placement test in Bladen Hall Room 100. The placement test is given to measure your current level of reading comprehension, English, grammar, and math skills. The test is for placement purpose only, not for admission to the college. Obtain copy of sample test booklet from Student Assessment Service Bladen Hall Room 100. To complete your certification process for veteran educational benefits you must complete a Veterans Benefit Request Form and provide the following documents: DD-214, and Certificate of Eligibility Letter from Veteran Administration for education benefits. All Chapter 35 students must provide their VA file number to obtain assistance.

    Transfer Student – someone who has earned previous college credits. See Veteran Advisor in Bladen Hall Room 122 to determine if you need to take the placement test. Have an unofficial copy of your transcript(s), and your DD -214 ready for the Advisor to review. The advisor does not officially evaluate your transcript for transferable credits, but can help determine the possible classes you may receive credits for and will not need to take. Complete Request for Evaluation of Credit from Other Institutions. Have an official copy of all college transcripts sent to Prince George Community College Admission and Records, include your military transcripts. All transfer students must complete VA Form 22-1995 (veteran) or VA Form 22-5495 (Dependent) and submit it with your Veterans Benefit Request Form.

    Supplemental Student - student who is primary enrolled in another institution using VA benefits and desires to take a class at a second institution. A student must provide written approval from primary institution to take courses at second institution. Written permission should indicate what specific courses are to be taken at the second institution. A copy of the written permission must be submitted to the Veterans Service Office along with your Certificate of Eligibility Letter, and the Veterans Benefit Request Form to obtain your additional VA benefits.

    The key to getting your benefits is getting the paperwork done right!

    You must complete Prince George’s Community College Veterans Educational Benefits Request Form every semester to receive benefits. First, you must register for classes. If you are using Chapters 1606, 1607, 30, and 35 you are required to pay for your classes. Chapters 33 and 31 VA will pay the college for their classes. This form can be obtained from the webpage or from the Veteran Service Offices on the Largo Campus, Bladen Hall, room 122 or at our extension centers: Andrew Air Force Base, Laurel College Center and University Town Center. This must be turned in to the Veteran Service Office. Without this form we will not be able to certify you for educational benefits with the Veteran Administration.


    Everyone receiving Chapters 30, 1606, and 1607 benefits must verify their enrollment each month with the VA Educational Regional Office to receive payment for that month. Your enrollment can be verified on the last calendar day of the month by using the VA’s Web Automated Verification of Enrollment (WAVE) or by calling 1-877-823-2378. Student must be enrolled in an approved educational program and must have a current benefit award to use WAVE.