The paramedic is a professional provider of emergency care to acutely ill or injured patients. The Paramedic Program provides students with the skills, knowledge, and clinical experience required to provide safe and effective pre-hospital care. Students may elect to take courses leading to completion of the Associate of Applied Science degree or certificate options. The program integrates classroom, laboratory, and applied clinical practice following the national standard curriculum of the Department of Transportation. The program collaborates with local fire departments and nationally recognized hospitals and emergency departments for medical, trauma, and specialty rotations. The program is approved by the Maryland Institute for Emergency Medical Service Systems, The Emergency Medical Services Board, and nationally by the Committee on Accreditation (CoAEMSP)through the Commission on Accreditation of Allied Health Education Programs (CAAHEP). Upon successful completion of the program, graduates are eligible to take the national certifying examination. Graduates of the Paramedic A.A.S. will be able to: . Evaluate the clinical information of patients who are ill or injured . Provide medical care to patients in an out of the hospital setting . Operate and troubleshoot medical equipment . Communicate effectively with patients, physicians and other healthcare providers . Demonstrate the skills necessary to work as part of the medical team . Demonstrate skills consistent with professional practice of the current Paramedic National Education Standards . Apply the principles of the social sciences in the treatment of ill or injured patients
Learning Foundations Overall Requirements
- All students must read English at an acceptable level in order to begin college-level courses. The college assesses two levels of reading proficiency as shown below. Both must be satisfied in order to enroll in college-level classes.
- Meet a basic reading standard by placement exam score, by taking DVR-0051 or ESL-0105, or by exemption due to prior college coursework.
- Meet college-level reading standards by placement exam score, by taking DVR-0061 DVR-0071 or ESL-0106, or by exemption as a result of prior college coursework.
- The college assesses English writing proficiency at three levels as a prerequisite to enrollment in EGL-1010, the first college-level writing course. Those three levels are outlined below.
- Meet the minimum English proficiency requirement by placement exam score, by completing DVE-0009 or ESL-0102 or by exemption as a result of prior coursework.
- Meet intermediate level English proficiency requirements by placement exam score, by completing DVE-0011 or ESL-0201, or by exemption as a result of prior coursework.
- Meet pre-college level English requirements by placement exam score, by completing EGL-0100 or ESL-0202, or by exemption as a result of prior coursework.
- All students must satisfy the college's requirement for a solid foundation in mathematics. Students can document this foundation either with satisfactory placement test scores, with an exemption posted as a result of courses taken elsewhere, or with satisfactory performance in one or more developmental mathematics courses. In addition, all students must complete either PAS-1010 or PAS-1030 along with their first developmental math course.
- Meet the most basic arithmetic requirement by completing DLS-0011 or a satisfactory score on the placement test.
- Meet prealgebra requirements by completing DVM-0031 or with a satisfactory placement test score.
- Meet elementary algebra requirements by completing DVM-0071 or achieving a satisfactory placement score.
- Meet intermediate algebra requirements by completing MAT-0104 or by achieving a satisfactory placment test score.
- You must take PAS-1030 during the same semester you take DVM-0031.
General Education - English Composition
General Education - Interpersonal Communication
General Education - Mathematics
General Education - Social Sciences
General Education - Science
Emergency Medical Technician-Paramedic (A.A.S.)